It is easy to do. Forgetting the Wi-Fi password is a common occurrence. There are several ways to find out what the password is. Try these steps:
- Is it the default password? If so, then it is probably written on the side or bottom of your wireless device. Look there first.
- Did you change it to a unique password? If so, you can access the information from an already connected device. Right click on the network connection icon located near the time and date in the lower right corner of the screen. Click on Network and Internet Center. Then click on Change Adapter Options. Right click on the connected adapter. Click Status, then click on Details. The IPv4 Default Gateway is the ip address to use. Write it down.
- Open a browser. Enter the ip address in the address bar. Enter the username and password to the device. The defaults are admin and password. If you do not know them, then move on to the next step. If successful, look for Wireless Security and you will see the password in that window.
- If you cannot get into the router, you can find the saved password on an already wirelessly connected computer, such as a laptop. To do this, again go to the Adapters page, (step 2), and right click the wireless adapter. Click Status, then click wireless properties and then click on the security tab. You will see the password “starred out.” Click to show the password.
- If you have a smart phone, (iPhone in this example), that has the connection, you can find out your passwords by going to Settings, Passwords and Accounts and then Website & App Passwords. There you can see ALL your saved passwords. Not listed? Go to step 6.
- Last option is to reset the router to factory settings. This is a last resort option as all saved settings will revert to factory default settings. Most people will not be affected by resetting the router, however, you should make sure there are not special settings, such as port forwarding or VPN settings. To reset the router, most models have a pin hole with which a paper clip end can be used to reset it. Stick the paper clip into the pin hole for ten seconds. The lights on the router will flash. Remove the paper clip. Now unplug both the router and modem. Leave both off for a few minutes. Plug the modem in first. After the modem booted up, reinsert the paper clip into the router pin hole hold it there. Turn on the router. Keep it “pinned” for a few seconds then release. The router should be reset. If that fails to reset, repeat. Now the default username and password should work when you enter the IP address (Step 2). If you are unsure of the default u/n and p/w, Google your model of router, (Netgear N600 default login, for example).
If you get: Error: QuickBooks can’t complete the current action due to a missing component: Missing pdf file component, there are three steps to take in order to resolve the issue. The error causes you to be unable to email invoices, print in pdf format and other printing problems. First, update your version of QB by clicking on Help and Update QuickBooks Desktop. Allow the update to complete and reboot the software to completely install the new files. Try again.
If you still get the error, try installing the QuickBooks Tool Hub which includes the utility called Print Repair Tool, (large green button in the Hub). Google the Hub and download the file to install. Follow the prompts to do so and when you are ready to run it close all programs first.
A third try would be reinstalling two programs. Uninstall both QB and Adobe Reader from the Control Panel. Reinstall Adobe Reader first and then QB. Make sure you have the install keys and license number. You can get those by opening QB, click on Help and then About QuickBooks.
If the default font settings for invoices in QB is not want you want, change it. Log in as Admin. Open any invoice. Click on the Formatting menu option at the top. Click Customize Data Layout. Then click on Layout Designer button at the bottom. Right click the box where you want the font to change. Click Properties. Click Font button. Change to the desired font size and style. Repeat these steps to change other boxes on the invoice. Done.
Ccleaner, downloaded from this link: http://chapinbusiness.com/?page_id=298 is a great utility that will help keep your computer clean and free of the things that ails our systems. Some of the features can be set to make it easier to use.
Open Ccleaner and click on Options, (left side column), and then click on Settings, (top of the list). Click the radial button next to Custom Clean under the heading Ccleaner Home Screen. When you now open it the program goes directly to the area where you can click “Run Cleaner.”
Next, run the Registry cleaner by clicking on the Registry button on the left side column. Click Scan for Issues button on the bottom left. When complete, I always save a copy of the registry by clicking through the prompts to do so.
Under the Tools section, (also on the left side column), click Startup to disable unwanted/un-needed programs from starting up with the boot of the system. This will save boot time and resources the system uses to operate.
Over-all a great program to have and use at least once per week! Keep the free version by ignoring the ads that come with it. It’s the price of “free.”
When you receive an attached word document and download it, the date on the document changes to the current date. What if I need the original date to stay?
The feature you are referring to is found in the menu option Insert. Then click Date and Time, (located in the text section of the ribbon). The sender, in this case, has control of whether the date of the letter will automatically change or not. That option is at the bottom where a check box to Update Automatically is found. If you are the sender and want to alter the auto date feature, change the check box to either be checked, where the date will change every time it is opened or unchecked where the original date will remain. You can also change the format of the date by selecting one of the options in the left side column.
Most Companies are emailing their invoices. Saves paper, good for the environment and saves money. How do we change what is pre-written in the body of the email? By default, the email message that comes pre-loaded cannot be altered. You will need to create a new template to use.
Open your QuickBooks file. Click on Edit/Preferences/Send Forms/Company Preferences and then click Add Template at the bottom of the small window. Here you can create a new email template with the text you want.
First, name the template. Then create the text by either deleting the prompts that are there and writing what you want, or fill in the prompts. Save it when you are finished. You will then see your new template on a list of available ones. The new one should be set as default. You can create additional templates tailored to your clients. To change which to use, click the down arrow on the right side of the Template line, (4th one down), at the email window. Done.
After finally upgrading my computer from Win7 to Win10 the Adobe Reader program opens one file and then will not open any others or create pdf files. The program just does nothing when I click to use.
The solution is to disable Protected Mode. First, make sure you can open Reader DC. If you cannot, then open the Task Manager by typing Taskmgr in the search box near the Start button. Close all instances of Adobe Reader. Open the program, not a file. Click on Edit, Preferences. Go to Security (Enhanced) and uncheck the box to enable Protected Mode at startup. Click Ok. Try using the program again.
If you want to quickly view your desktop without having to minimize the many windows that are open, you can do so. First, click on the Start button and click the gear icon for Settings. Then click Personalization, then Taskbar, (at the bottom). Then click to turn on “Use Peek to preview the desktop…”
Now hover your mouse to the right of the date and time and beyond the notification icon. You only need to hover, NOT click, and the desktop will come to the forefront. If you want to keep the desktop visible for a bit, click once. If you want the windows to re-appear, click again.
This one is easy. If you are a fan of the “old school” Start menu you can have it back, (almost). Hover your mouse over the start button and right click. A textual menu appears, just as it used to.
Of course all of these items are available through the standard menu, however, you will be able to access them quicker by doing this.
When you open QB a pop-up ad appears asking you to upgrade or purchase a product. It only happens at startup and you can X out. If you are finding these annoying, there is a way to stop all of them.
With QB open and signed in, click on Edit, Preferences, select General on the left column and then click the My Preferences tab. Select the check box to “Turn off popup messages for products and services.” Click OK and you are done.
Call us. We’re here to help.